Monday 22 October 2007

MISS HAVERSHAM'S AND THE ANNIVERSARY.

Hi there everyone, how are you all today? fine and dandy I hope. I am all alone here this morning so I thought I would take the time to share a bit of my world with you.
I thought I would share some images of what used to be our dining room, it is now a kind of entrance hall ( we enter the house straight into this room ) come chill out room.This room has it's work cut out for it, for this is where myself and Andy sleep also. This is truly lovely at christmas time, with all the decorations, it's like being in santa's grotto!

One of my favourite films of all time is 'Great Expectations'. My favourite scene is the one where we meet the tragic Miss. Haversham in her tomb like room where time has stood still after being left at the alter by her bloke. I've always loved that room and would love one just like it, my mother would probably say that I was well on my way to achieving this , as you can see from the fireplace, I seem to live with small towers of books, sketchbooks , letters etc. where I can get to them as easily as possible. I think it must drive Andy mad, but he lives with it all the same, bless him.


The things I cherish the most, besides my family ofcourse, are the old painted photographs of my great grandparents that watch over us from above the piano. Their lovely arn't they? Yet again, my wonderful great aunts dragged them out from under the stairs at 'Maes yr Ronen', the old family home, and entrusted them to me. I was in my twenties at the time, and I had never set eyes on them before this day, I fell in love with them and there is not a day goes by that I don't look at them . The piano also came from them, infact, there is alot of 'Maes yr Ronen' here in Stroud. We are also in the process of changing our house name to this, in memory of Auntie Bett, who sadly left us in July. All the old photos are from them, and I couldn't be without them, not for anything.

So, as you can see, our house is not exactly " Kath Kidston", nor would I ever want it to be.

On a final note, unlike Miss. Haversham, I did marry my love, and on Saturday we celebrated our 17th wedding Anniversary!!!!! We have been together for 21 years and it don't seem a day too long.
Our wedding day was a lovely autumn event with just fifty guests and Andy's dad, who is a vicar married us in his lovely little church. My sister made us a fabulous antique looking three tier wedding cake, and all the gorgeous food was made by my mother-in -law. the reception was in the vicarage, it was truly lovely.
I wore a 1944 ration book wedding dress which I bought for the pricely sum of £16 from an antique dealer in Bath. Sadly, last year, we had a pipe burst and all the water was caught in the box carrying my dress and flowers (which were dried). the dress could not be rescued, it was covered in rust marks, and so, I sadly threw it away. I salvaged the headress, but it's a bit green . Still, I have the photos and the memories. Did you get married? what did you wear?xx











12 comments:

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hi Annie
So sorry to hear about the demise of your wedding dress.. such a sad ending to a dress that must have had some wonderul memories sewn in the hem.
I love your Victorian mantle.. full of the genuine article.. no..not Cath Kidston!
I would tell you about my wedding dress but that was in another life and my life has moved on... I shall say no more..
Have a lovely day...
Michelex

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your anniversary, shame about your dress but as you say you have photographs and memories. My dress was a 1920's drop waist affair, it still hangs in the wardrobe and I can still get in it!

The Honourable Billy Blunt said...

Hello Annie,
I'm upright today !!!!!LOL
I would love to see your photos.
I married Andy ( If you are reading this as a guest my hubby is Andy too I did not marry Annies husband !!!! )
in a cream brocade riding habbit and brown leather riding boots topped with a cream coat which I still wear.
As usual your photos were a feast for the eyes,congrats on your anniversary too.
I would still like a doll and no the price tag hasn't put me off.I think you will be famous one day as an artist and I am sure such an heirloom will be worth every penny,if you would like to sell me one.
Please email me with some details and we can sort something out.
Hugs Kat x

Deanna said...

Oh Annie, how sad about your wedding dress. I would love to see your wedding picture. I love the picture of your grandparents.

Deanna :)

Mary said...

Congratulations on your aniversary. sorry about your dress. I found mine fairly recently!perhaps the subject for a blog one day!!

Country Cottage Chic said...

Congrats on your anniversary! Sorry to hear about your dress - what a shame it was ruined like that.

I have now been married for 20 years & still have my dress, veil & headdress which was fresh flowers - I'm amazed it has lasted this long!

I have my dress hanging in my cupboard - I designed it & my mum made it (both my mum & I are clothing designers by trade). It is quite a fairy princess dress with beading & lace & I had about 70 metres of tulle in my petticoat!)

Little ol' Me said...

Hello,

Happy Anniversary! I celebrated my 13th wedding Anniversary in September. My wedding was in the family church that my soon to be husband's Great-great Grandfather built. All of his family have been married in that church.

I wore a new gown I picked out. It was very long and straight down from hip to toes, but with a full, old fashioed bustle in the back and a 12 foot train. I made my own veil... and I felt like a princess.

It's a pitty your dress was ruined, but you'll have the memories to last forever!

Tiffany

Gena said...

I love your mantelpiece Annie! it all looks so gorgeous! my wedding was in the eighties and I wore a big off the shoulder dress which made me look like a meringue! it was before I got hooked on vintage! oddly enough I have several vintage wedding dresses in my possesion now, but they are so tiny! Lovely post Annie xx

oldflowers4me said...

oh dear 1- i wish id been at your wedding- it all sounds so romantic- mmm very dream like-love to you and your family la la la love jo- singing and skipping.

Lola Enchanted said...

Happy Anniversary! Your home is wonderful!!! I got your wonderful world from Oldflowers4me... (JO) I'm happy I took a visit!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hello Annie
I have been eager to read your blog for days now but alas you have been absent..
I hope that you are o.k and haven't succumbed to any nasty bugs that are going around..
Look forward to your return.
Michelex

Tea said...

What a beautiful home you have! I`m am so inlove with your kitchen! To me, that picture is showing "the perfect kitchen" A place one would never want to leave. And your cottage looks so beautiful from the picture of your husband fixing the ivy. Glad I found your blog :)

tea
xo